Monday, March 10, 2014

The Price of "Free"

free pic.jpg


How many times have you gone into a store because you have a "Free" item coupon, but ended up getting more things at that store besides the "Free" item. I just did this recently and spent more than the "Free" item was worth (which I didn't even need and actually didn't really want).

In Predictably Irrational, Dan Ariely says that "Free is one of the most powerful ways to trigger behavior." This is completely true because I probably would not have gone to that store except for the "Free" item that I had to get, just because it was free. It is a way to get customers in the door, where they might actually spend more than they had anticipated.






I am also guilty of putting more in my online shopping cart, just to get the free shipping that would probably be less than the product I just bought. My rationale for this is that, I can buy a product (that I might need), for somewhat of a discount (e.g. the shipping cost). I know it is not a great rationale, but it works for me!

Free is an extremely influential way to get customers to go to a store or buy more items. People tend to go crazy for "Free", myself included.

1 comment:

  1. I am also guilty of going into a store because they are offering a free item! The word "FREE" is a strong statement and wields a lot of power. I liked this section in the book and glad you blogged about it!

    ReplyDelete